WHY LEARN MUSIC?
In learning music, students of all ages learn about their own and other cultures and the long tradition of communication that music has provided over the ages among peoples. Music can be a powerful aesthetic and humanizing force in students’ lives. Education in music is essential to every student’s intellectual, physical, social, and emotional growth.
Music education and experiences provides for the development of musical skills and understanding through experiences in:
• creating, presenting (making music)
• connecting to time, place, and community (historical/social context)
• perceiving, reflecting, and responding (critical response)
Enhances academic achievement
• Music programs improve the atmosphere for learning
• Music programs help students achieve in other academic subjects like math, science, and reading
Encourages healthy social development
• Music programs keep students engaged in school and less likely to drop out
• Music programs help communities share ideas and values among cultures and generations
• Music is a disciplined human endeavor with intrinsic value to society
Enhances the quality of life
• Music programs provide students with opportunities to express themselves in verbal and non-verbal ways;
• appreciate diverse perspectives, openness and flexibility in thinking;
• develop a high level of self-awareness and self-confidence;
• develop a rich and healthy sense of beauty and imagination
Enhances preparation for the workplace
• Music develops skills needed by the 21st century workplace
• Critical and analytical thinking
• Creative problem solving
• Effective communication
..and most importantly, MUSIC IS FUN!!